Group Photo of Ministers in MI-2
In support of economic growth, energy access and security, and an urgent and lasting global response to climate change, China jointly announced Mission Innovation in 2015. This initiative can help accelerate the pace of clean energy innovation to achieve performance breakthroughs and cost reductions to provide affordable and reliable clean energy solutions that will revolutionize energy systems throughout the world over the next two decades and beyond.
Our participation in MI helps promote academic exchanges and cooperation in IC fields. For example, every year the Institute of Electrical Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IEE CAS) holds workshops for Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) and the Chinese participating institutes/companies in MI IC groups. In addition, IEE CAS is in charge of editing strategic research reports, providing suggestions for technology development and international cooperation concerning MI ICs. To amplify the domestic influence of MI and build momentum around the second phase, IEE CAS set up MI Official WeChat Account to share latest MI progress, academic reports, as well as events forecast.
Examples of accomplishments under MI:
- Significant Contribution to the Doubling Plan: In 2018, the Chinese government R&D investment in the field of clean energy was $6.3 billion, ranking first among member states for three consecutive years.
- Successfully hosted the Second Mission Innovation Ministerial (MI-2): On 6–8 June 2017, MI-2 was hosted by the People’s Republic of China in Beijing. The meeting provided an opportunity to leverage high-level political will and private-sector leadership to drive ambitious, real-world clean energy policies and actions.
- As the IC1 colead, jointly held six Smart Grids Deep-Dive workshops with Italy, and India for IC1 during 2016 to 2019.
- As the IC4 colead, successfully hosted the conference “Mission Innovation – The 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Biofuels” on April 2-4, 2019 in Yantai for IC4.
- A Large Number of International Cooperation Achievements: China has taken the Lead in organizing nearly 10 international seminars, supported the MI Secretariat in the preparation of the MI Beyond 2020 programmatic document, and led the release of numerous global consulting reports such as the National Report on Smart Grid Innovation Challenges.
As we mark the fifth anniversary of Mission Innovation, China would like to express sincere congratulations on the great accomplishment of MI in reinvigorating and accelerating global clean energy innovation. And we look forward to closely collaborating with all the members in MI and making further efforts to the second phase.