National Innovation Pathway
- Saudi Arabia launched its Circular Carbon Economy National Program. The national program sets out innovation priorities in the 4 pillars of the Circular Carbon Economy framework: Reduce, Recycle, Reuse, Remove. The program identifies innovation priorities for Saudi Arabia that include: increase efficiency of solar energy systems in hot weather, Smart Grids technologies, Solar cooling systems, building efficiency, hydrogen production and storage, combustion efficiency, and carbon capture and utilization.
- Saudi Arabia plans to transform its power generation energy mix to 50% from renewables by 2030. An essential component of the Saudi National Renewable Energy Program is technology localization which supports R&D projects for solar and wind related technologies.
- Saudi Arabia established a joint R&D center between Ministry of Energy and King Abdulaziz City for Science & Technology (Saudi national lab) to advance development of Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage technologies.
- Saudi Arabia plans to pioneer hydrogen technologies deployment, one of its mega projects is the NEOM green hydrogen-based ammonia plant powered by renewables.
- Saudi Arabia launched two major initiatives for confronting climate change The Saudi Green Initiative and the Middle East Green initiative. The two initiatives will promote innovation in raising vegetation cover, reducing carbon emissions, combating pollution & land degradation, and preserving marine life.
- The Saudi National Industrial Development and Logistics Program (NIDLP) lunched as a part of the Saudi 2030 Vision, is mandated to transform the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia into a leading industrial powerhouse and a global logistics hub in promising growth. The program has a R&DI component that funds R&D projects in Smart Grids for integrating renewable energy, energy storage, efficient cooling, fuel cells, waste to energy, clean fuel, efficient combustion, efficient solar systems, and carbon capture, utilization, and storage.
- More details of National Innovation priorities and pathway will be developed and shared as part of Saudi Arabia commitment to the second phase of Mission Innovation.